A visit to Vidyarthi Bhavan
If you Google the must visit food joints in Bangalore, Vidyarthi Bhavan will certainly show up on the list. It is an iconic vegetarian restaurant in South Bangalore famous for its masala dosa. Founded in 1943, this simple food joint has retained its old world charm. The place has attracted food connoisseurs from all parts of the city and beyond.
Saturday started late for us last weekend. It was already 10:30 in the morning when we decided to drive to Vidyarthi Bhavan for a late brunch. With Google maps and cash set in tow, we reached the restaurant well before noon. Good timing and light traffic had already paved the way for the date with dosa ahead.
Things you should know about Vidyarthi Bhavan
- It’s a small food joint. Don’t expect directions but ask anyone on the Gandhi Bazaar main road and you will be guided right.
- It’s not a walk-in – sit-down – munch away – pay the bill place. People are always waiting there but it’s very well-organized restaurant with place to sit and wait. We waited 15 mins and were at #52.
- There is no menu to look at. Save time by ordering all or some of – dosa, idli, vada, khara bath, kesari-bath, poori-saagu and coffee.
- The staff knows Hindi and English but Kannada is loved.
- The service is super fast – if it’s not dosa, the order will be served the moment you place it. Yes, that fast.
- The staff is friendly and courteous. With the number of visitors they handle in a day, expect them to move quickly taking orders and serving as quickly as possible. There is no time for pleasantries.
- Order, eat, pay, move and make way for others is the mantra that works.
I visited this place for the first time in 10+ years and loved the experience. The food is simple and traditional. Dosa has ragi in it making it crisp and slightly brown in color. The chutney is rich with roasted grams and the vada is not oily. Kesari bath is not super sweet and the khara bath has so many vegetables that you better eat than count. The saagu with the poori is unique in taste. I have never had something like that before. Coffee is strong and rich. Can you believe how much we ate? Without burning a hole in the pocket too.
Leaving you with some pictures of my day at Vidyarthi Bhavan.
For day 28 of #NaBloPoMo, here is food and a lot of love.