Do not read this
When I first saw this video and read about the movement, it made me think. Out of every 7 adults, there is 1 who cannot read. If I was the one who couldn’t read, I would not have known,
- What time is it
- Who was calling me on the phone
- If the bread was beyond ‘best before’ date
- Which medicine to take if I had a bad headache
- Which bus would take me to some place
- How to count and pay someone
- How to make a list of groceries that I need at home
- What a loving hand written note means
This is a very small list of things I could think of in a couple of minutes but I am very sure there is so much we would not have been able to do if we did not know how to read.
Do Not Read This is an initiative of Destination Literacy, Room to Read’s campaign to reach 10 million children by the end of 2015. They partner with local communities, government and citizens to educate girls, establish literary projects, fund libraries and even equip teachers with skills that are essential to engage children.
Imagine how will the world be if every child could read. Imagine the power of a world where no one will have to look at the watch and wonder what time of the day it is.